8/18/12

MAKING IT LOOK EASY

When someone does something competently, it gives the effect that what they're doing is easy. So easy that others can think: I can do that! Only when they try it do they gain insight into the enormous amount of time and effort that's gone into making it look easy.

I started illustrating children's books a few years ago. People - grown-ups and children alike - say that I make drawing look easy. And I tell them that I drew lots, and lots, and lots before I become good at it. It's easy for me, so easy that it's starting to become boring - while this is still a big dream of many people: wow! illustrating children's books...

My son is an actor and theatre-maker. He tells me of the processes he goes through when working on a production, revealing to me the fears, doubts, nervousness, repetitions, discussions, critique, evaluations and re-evaluations that all take place before we as audience see the results and think: that looks easy... I could do that.

I experienced the hard truth of this when I attempted to sing my Mezrab song for a large audience at the Tolhuistuin. All the speakers make it look so easy... I thought: I can do that.

I couldn't! 






No comments:

Post a Comment