10/10/12

A Band Is Forming

My album project consists of me and my friend Geert - I write the songs, Geert does all the complicated recording technique, and we both play the music. We've got guitar, voice and bass as basics, but that's it. I plan to keep the whole album pretty basic too - it's about the songs, not about the production (meaning over-production) and I've been inspired by the more basic recordings on Nick Drake's albums.

But some songs are already screaming for extras: guitar parts that are more intricate than either of us can play; percussion parts; and strings (especially cello). So it's time to get some more people involved.

Starting with another friend - Marnix. He is percussionist, and we had him over yesterday evening for a session in the studio. Great! He's into it and raring to go. An extra advantage of this is that he also plays some bass and sings - and with my idea of holding a "launch concert" when the album is ready, he'll be important to take over the bass when Geert is playing extra guitar parts, and joining in the vocal-harmonies.

I've also got my son Kyrian interested in putting down some piano tracks - he plays intricate jazz improvisations so that'll add some real color to the album. And he'll be good too for the extra guitar parts because he's better at that than me or Geert too. What's really interesting is that Kyrian has never heard my songs - he's never seen this side of his father (except when he was younger - but he doesn't remember).

I've got 5 songs completed and 13 to go (yes that many!). But the main songwriting part is done - the "inspirational" part. I've got all the musical ideas on video, and the "concept" of the album is decided, and all the ideas have already been designated a "theme/subject". So I only have to write the lyrics. This is not as difficult as it may seem - it's no different from writing an article (except making rhyme). Just a matter of sitting down with information and organizing it into verse - it's a "craft", and I'm not bad at it. And I have to say... writing songs gives me just about the most enjoyment I've ever had creatively.

                                                 ------------------------

I've heard a lot of demoralizing advice when it comes to "doing things yourself". Many would think if I want to make a professional album I should go to a professional studio. I don't agree with this - especially when it comes to this project. I'm sure a professional studio with expert and experienced producers and engineers would create a really nice album of my songs (and charge me a really nice big bill for their services), but what is the advantage of that? Really?

I want an album that gives listeners the effect that I'm singing personally for them - and that "I'm" singing and playing, and not a full studio of session musicians. It's not about how "exquisite" the production is but how authentic the songs are, and the performance. And it's not just about the album either... it's about the experience of "making" it... ourselves!
It's a journey of creative discovery - why would I want to put it in the hands of someone else who's already made the journey?

Following the same line of thinking - when I go travelling, that won't be just about "gigging" and "selling albums". That'll be as much (if not more) about connecting with people and sharing stories - the album and songs will just be a vehicle by which to do this. That's why I'm not planning on touring in the traditional sense - around the songwriter/band circuit - but on finding the storytelling venues and gatherings and mixing song and story as a troubadour.

It's also not about being rich and famous as a popstar either - just so you know... I'll leave that dream aside for all the young ones.

2 comments:

  1. hi mike, love what you are doing, the stories and the adventures (past and present) especially the antics of your past! i'm getting to know my brother through a blog!!
    the 'disregard this email' cracked me up!!
    this is your calling mike, always loved the songs that tell a story in particular the witty ones you wrote in spain.
    check out jake thackray if you haven't already, kinda reminds me of your wit
    anyways, enjoy the ride and i'll keep following you on your journey
    best wishes
    brother garyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gary - looks like we've got a lot to talk about (as always) when we finally hook up again.

    ReplyDelete