10/23/12

Spoken Word Poems

I've made a new page called POEMS. This is going to list all the writings I do that fall under the category "Poem" to distinguish them from stories. I've been so inspired lately by "Performance Poetry/Spoken Word Poetry" that I know it's going to be a major part of my writing activities from now on.

And I've written and performed my first poem already - "I Wrote A Song", which I did last Friday evening at the Mezrab. As I get more adept at this I'll be able to discuss the process of writing them, but as everything else on this blog, it's still a process in development - as is this blog itself and this whole project.

I got a message from my brother Gary, whose following my blog, in which he suggests I add some videos of my songs so people can hear them as well as read the lyrics - this too is in development. But most of all... "I am in development myself" - this is a whole new lifestyle for me. I've been so programmed the last 15 years to get up and go to work, that I now have to "deal" with having all the time in the world for myself and the things I like to do. And my head and heart are still in a sort of "pleasant shock"... suddenly, with all this time on my hands, I realize just how much there is that I want to do, and it feels somewhat overwhelming. I need to get down from this cloud and into some new routine, organize myself - but I want to do this naturally because what is the point in creating new deadlines and pressures for myself, expecting myself to be measurably productive every day?

Yesterday, for example, it was such beautiful weather, that I couldn't stay inside to do the things I'd planned - I had to get out. So I went for a walk in the forest. And in walking, and later during a jogging session with Geert, I mulled over other important concepts - this too is productive in an abstract way, and this too is part of the development I'm going through. A long walk brings thoughts into clarity that I can write later as a poem, or a story, or a song.

Life is good for me at this moment - I'm still on the cloud enjoying the wonder of it all... I don't want to feel guilty for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment