10/10/12

THE MOTH - True Stories Told Live

The Moth is a New York City based nonprofit organization that conducts live storytelling events.


An article I read over this U.S. storytelling venue is what got me first interested and looking for a similar venue in Amsterdam which led me to The Mezrab and turned my world upside down and changed my life and got me songwriting again and eventually..... so on and so forth..... got me where I am now.

I keep an eye on The Moth - get updates for new videos (the events I can't get to on the bike), and I think I've viewed most of their Tube videos. I have mixed feelings. The storytellers give me an idea of the general standard, so I think if I can do what these guys 'n gals are doing I'm not doing too bad. But these speakers are often professional tv writers or authors or even comedians - so where are the "normal" people I ask myself.

Anyway - that's America, this is here, and the Mezrab is full of 'normal' people telling their stories. But I just wanted to give you an example of one "speaker" from The Moth so you get an idea for yourself - one of the stories I enjoyed the most because the guy doesn't come over as a great speaker, but warms to you as you get into his story:






I haven't found a storytelling-video from The Mezrab - yet. Maybe that's something that still needs to be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment